Monday, April 27, 2015

Perfectly Imperfect

My background is as a journalist. I started naively at The Examiner in Launceston with little life experience and it really was a baptism of fire. With uncles successfully working in the media business I felt the pressure to remain in mainstream media, but it wasn't long before I escaped. Initially I was devastated as I thought my lifelong dream was over and that I had failed. 

With time I realised my passion for capturing people's stories hadn't waned. I also realised that writers write; irrelevant of the place or platform and that just as there are many types of writers there are just as many types of readers. Which means that there is a place for us all. And finally I realised that I didn't have to be perfect. Everybody needs an editor and that the idea of immediate perfection by one individual is a nonsense.

This passion has led me to writing a number of publications and articles over the last 20 years.  Particularly gratifying is when I can combine my love of the arts and people, with my passion for story telling.

Last year I was invited to write an article for IMPRINT about Paper Garments for the Grave, an amazing collection of work by mostly Tasmanian artists. It's one in a series of art stories that I have captured with hopefully many more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog