Friday, August 12, 2011

LEARNING TO BE IN THE MOMENT

It can be difficult when so much is going on in our lives to take time to savour what is now. I find it a constant challenge, but such an important journey to continue. To be able to focus, especially as a writer, it is crucial to find stillness within a chaotic life. This morning I took time to breath, meditating before starting my day. Before you start thinking I am some kind of genius, this is something very new for me. After breakfast I sat on the  verandah in the sunshine (a bit of a novelty considering how much rain we have had) and read through some writing from when I was 19 years old. I was amazed at how observant and in the moment the writing was. It may have been a little naive and basic, but there is real insight.

Finding the stillness and quite of mind to enable reflection and creation is vital for anyone who is making or creating, especially when you have other commitments and distractions.

It's not always easy and probably an ongoing challenge for most of us, but the impact on our work can be extraordinary. Goodluck!

‘Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future. Live the actual moment. Only this moment is life.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog