Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Being an artist

Whether you write, paint, draw, dance or play, the life of an artist is fantastic but not easy. As a writer and painter I know. The constant struggle between finding space to allow that tiny gem of an idea to grow and blossom and the demands of life, family, earning money and all the rest, can hamper the best creative idea.
I am privileged to be working with some amazing artists and creative thinkers and what breaks my heart is the turmoil and torture they feel in the process of producing new work. It's not the issue of the work, but rather the current structures and models that support the thought that if you make it you should be able to sell it and manage it. I don't agree with this and there are plenty of examples of artists throughout history that had teams around them, patronage and other support.

So imagine what would happen if we changed our thinking and could inject the right skills around artists. Would it see a huge surge in artistic activity and individual energy? Could it have greater social, economic, environmental and cultural outcomes?

Since I began the business almost 3 years ago, there has been an increasing number of artists, entrepreneurs, business people and creative thinkers seeking coaching, marketing and other support. This clearly demonstrates a need. The challenge is finding ways to respond to this need that is financially realistic. Currently I subsidise some of the service fees through other work I undertake. But as the demand for services increases this becomes difficult. So will and should funding bodies and others recognise the need for new resources for artist. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Family is the toughest one for me- when I'm not working a full time crap job- I get a massive and constant guilt trip- if I'm working hard as an artist at the same time they don't and wouldn't even know or care because all they understand is making money from doing things for the sake of having more money such as the 9-5 stay alive- that and they're just not creative interesting people and watch TV everynight after work. I'm 27 and currently, 'currently' live with my family and realise why being an artist has been harder for me than many of my other peers because of this stigmatism, lack of understanding and or generally conservative outlook- I could call three talented, creative friends my age now who are also back with the parents but they'd be happily going ahead with their work unbothered- as broke as me but - but unbothered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment MPW. It's certainly not easy at times, but when you hit that sweet spot, whether it's painting, writing or playing an instrument it is sooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog